Linn's secret remote control

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Linn's secret remote control

Post by ThomasOK »

As anyone up here who has read my posts is aware I am not overly fond of the current standard Linn remote - the REM 019 silver unit that comes with virtually everything except the Classik Music.

Well, I thought it was time to let out my little secret. Linn makes a remote control that I (and my SO) prefer over all other Linn remotes for day to day use. This remote is the REM 018 and it is the cleanest, most ergonomic remote Linn make and the strangest thing about it is that Linn doesn't seem to want anyone to know it exists! As far as I can tell this remote is not shipped with any Linn components - at least I have never seen any component come with one. So their best remote is one hardly anybody has ever seen (unless they ship it in Europe and not the US).

I should mention here that I only use this remote in my stereo system - it most likely wouldn't work as well in a surround setup. But for the LP12, Ikemi, Pekin and Klimax Kontrol it is great. The REM 018 really has all the controls I regularly use without a bunch of buttons for functions I don't use often.

You can see a photo of the remote here:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x45/ ... EM-018.jpg

It will be easier to follow this next part if you have the photo up. Starting at the top the remote the DISPLAY button changes the display on the Ikemi into it's different modes, the top right button puts the KK into standby and takes it back out, below that are the 6 transport buttons for the Ikemi. It doesn't have REW or FF buttons, only skip forward and back but that is all I really use. The middle set of buttons are very handy: + and - control volume up and down, up and down arrows control source selection and the center button mutes. I did a brief check and found that these buttons will also work as cursor controls on the UniDisk menus when the "SETUP" button at the bottom is pressed first. The next group of 6 buttons is quite interesting. These are the -, ADJ, +, TUNE, PRESET and SCAN. On a Klimax Kontrol when you press the ADJ button the + and - buttons allow you to adjust the Balance. On a Pekin pressing the TUNE, PRESET or SCAN buttons let you choose the tuning mode and the + and - buttons then move you up and down the tuning scale. The 6 buttons below that are mainly for Knekt. The RECORD might work on other things but I haven't tried it.

So there you have it, a remote that does everything I need it to do on a daily basis. No it doesn't have a MONO button, which I do sometimes use like on older stereo Beatles records that are mixed with no center information, but not often enough that it is a great loss. I do keep other Linn remotes around for when I need another function (in fact I have a fair collection of different Linn remotes - the old Wakonda remote still being a favorite) but this is the one I use 95%+ of the time.

The bad news is that not only do Linn not package this remote with anything but they also charge an arm and a leg for it. Despite the small size and limited number of buttons it is the most expensive remote on the Linn price list at just under $170US! So there you have it - Linn's best remote has hardly seen the light of day. Such a shame.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

AFAIK it was shipped with CD12 and Klimax Kontrol, additionally to the AV5101 remote, for a very short time.
seanhinde

Post by seanhinde »

Yep, My KK came with one (but no 5101).
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Isn't this the same remote being discussed on Topica and apparently available from Russ Andrews in the UK for 90GBP?

'Troll
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Moomintroll wrote:Isn't this the same remote being discussed on Topica and apparently available from Russ Andrews in the UK for 90GBP?

'Troll
I checked the Russ Andrews site and it is the same unit.
sommerfee wrote:AFAIK it was shipped with CD12 and Klimax Kontrol, additionally to the AV5101 remote, for a very short time.
Interesting! I have never seen a Klimax Kontrol or CD12 packed with one. It must have been a very short time indeed. I wonder why they stopped including it?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Very nice remote indeed.

IMHo linn remotes are clean and easy to operate. However, new luminous remotes are better to use at night, when listening. For me itntuitive, but when I moved from Classik need to accustom.
zeedje

Post by zeedje »

bbyte wrote:Very nice remote indeed.

IMHo linn remotes are clean and easy to operate. However, new luminous remotes are better to use at night, when listening. For me itntuitive, but when I moved from Classik need to accustom.
The little gem that Thomas describes glows with a bleak erie light...

And I totally agree with Thomas. This is the workhorse in my system. I only use the 5101 when tuning speakers thanks to the mono button. The little one have much better contact with the pre and CD. I dont need to aim directly at them to get a connection...

Just my two cents..,
/ Zeedje
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

zeedje wrote:
bbyte wrote:Very nice remote indeed.

The little gem that Thomas describes glows with a bleak erie light...

And I totally agree with Thomas. This is the workhorse in my system. I only use the 5101 when tuning speakers thanks to the mono button. The little one have much better contact with the pre and CD. I dont need to aim directly at them to get a connection...

Just my two cents..,
/ Zeedje
Both the small remote and the new silver AV remote are "glow in the dark". They will absorb light and then glow for a while. If you hold them close to and facing a light bulb and then turn out the lights you will find they glow pretty strongly. Unfortunately the glow will not last through an entire movie.
roofus

linn remotes

Post by roofus »

I have grumbled about the Linn remotes for some time now. A short time ago, I installed a new Unidisk SC to replace and older non-HDMI model. The old remote was total crap but I had adapted to it. The new remote is the worst I have ever encountered. I should have known when the remote came with a separate manual! Linn claims it is easier to use!

I trotted off to my neighborhood hi-fi emporium and invested in a Genesis MX-900 from Universal remote. The technician in the store programmed it for me (It is complex to program) and it is so easy to use! I have four choices: 1) listen to a cd; 2) watch a dvd; 3) listen to radio; 4) watch television.

It was expensive: $400; but it works! Best $400 dollars I ever spent! I have no connection with the company . . . just a happy customer! :D
________
Pt Cruiser
Last edited by roofus on 2011-02-25 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn's secret remote control

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:As anyone up here who has read my posts is aware I am not overly fond of the current standard Linn remote - the REM 019 silver unit that comes with virtually everything except the Classik Music.

Well, I thought it was time to let out my little secret. Linn makes a remote control that I (and my SO) prefer over all other Linn remotes for day to day use. This remote is the REM 018 and it is the cleanest, most ergonomic remote Linn make and the strangest thing about it is that Linn doesn't seem to want anyone to know it exists! As far as I can tell this remote is not shipped with any Linn components - at least I have never seen any component come with one. So their best remote is one hardly anybody has ever seen (unless they ship it in Europe and not the US).

I should mention here that I only use this remote in my stereo system - it most likely wouldn't work as well in a surround setup. But for the LP12, Ikemi, Pekin and Klimax Kontrol it is great. The REM 018 really has all the controls I regularly use without a bunch of buttons for functions I don't use often.

So there you have it, a remote that does everything I need it to do on a daily basis. No it doesn't have a MONO button, which I do sometimes use like on older stereo Beatles records that are mixed with no center information, but not often enough that it is a great loss. I do keep other Linn remotes around for when I need another function (in fact I have a fair collection of different Linn remotes - the old Wakonda remote still being a favorite) but this is the one I use 95%+ of the time.

The bad news is that not only do Linn not package this remote with anything but they also charge an arm and a leg for it. Despite the small size and limited number of buttons it is the most expensive remote on the Linn price list at just under $170US! So there you have it - Linn's best remote has hardly seen the light of day. Such a shame.
I just located this thread, and once again I've learned something new about Linn :!: I had no idea there was another (secret) remote which is better than the current standard Linn remote. Good information indeed 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

And thanks to your post -now others have seen it too. Again, had no idea it existed. I have the old KK control commonly used by power lifters and in the constuction of large scale civil engineering projects. I have to be careful not to casually throw it on the bed or else risk it collapsing the bedroom down into the lounge. I do miss the lightweight one that came with my MK, but this looks even simpler.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:And thanks to your post -now others have seen it too. Again, had no idea it existed. I have the old KK control commonly used by power lifters and in the constuction of large scale civil engineering projects. I have to be careful not to casually throw it on the bed or else risk it collapsing the bedroom down into the lounge. I do miss the lightweight one that came with my MK, but this looks even simpler.
I still use the original remote that came with my Linn Kairn preamplifier, and it works fine with new Linn components 8) . Not sure I'd ever replace it for another type.
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:And thanks to your post -now others have seen it too. Again, had no idea it existed. I have the old KK control commonly used by power lifters and in the constuction of large scale civil engineering projects. I have to be careful not to casually throw it on the bed or else risk it collapsing the bedroom down into the lounge. I do miss the lightweight one that came with my MK, but this looks even simpler.
I still use the original remote that came with my Linn Kairn preamplifier, and it works fine with new Linn components 8) . Not sure I'd ever replace it for another type.
So do I, best remote they made!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

anthony wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
So do I, best remote they made!
Plus, in my opinion - it looks much nicer than the silver Linn remotes :!:
Tony Tune-age
Nature

Post by Nature »

It was shipped with Klimax DS during the Auskerry and Bute period. (pre Cara)

Linn replaced REM018 to the standard REM 019 when Cara was released due to intruduction of shuffle, repeat and the Jukebox function. These features can not be accessed from the smaller REM 018.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Nature wrote:It was shipped with Klimax DS during the Auskerry and Bute period. (pre Cara)

Linn replaced REM018 to the standard REM 019 when Cara was released due to intruduction of shuffle, repeat and the Jukebox function. These features can not be accessed from the smaller REM 018.
Do the Linn remotes have an assigned model number printed on the back-cover, or somewhere else :?: I haven't been able to locate a number anywhere on my remote.
Tony Tune-age
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

A new Linn remote seem to be in the works. With direct selection for playlist/radio/songcast for the DS:s. It seems nice, more simplistic than the current one!

Also, I do as a couple of the previous posters, and use an old Kairn remote! It is great. A nice layout of the buttons.

I really hope the new rem020 will be good, it is a bit hard to guess without actually trying it out live.
Although I also have a hard time to visualize how an awfully decorated apartment that is up for sale, could be improved and personalized...

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/REM_020

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm glad you put the photo up here because the link appears to no longer work. Probably don't want anyone to know about the new remote before it has been properly announced! ;-)

It looks somewhat like an expanded version of the remote I like and certainly can't be anything but a step up from the current remote. I suppose now that Linn have gotten out of the disc spinner and AV parts of the business they don't need all the extra buttons anymore.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Apparently REM 020 is the official remote which comes with the new DSM players.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

rowlandhills wrote:Apparently REM 020 is the official remote which comes with the new DSM players.
And quite excellent it is too.
Audiman

REM020

Post by Audiman »

I saw this REM020 at my dealer, and was a bit chocked when I heard that this is coming with KDSM that cost mucho dineros, why ?

Because I have the control (in black) for my HD box to my TV
And that did cost me some 500 USD......

(Maximum something)

Have a nice day

//
AndersB

Post by AndersB »

Have anyone tried the new remote 020?
I was thinking of buying one as a sparepart to control my Majik DS.

Anders
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

AndersB wrote:Have anyone tried the new remote 020?
I was thinking of buying one as a spare part to control my Majik DS.
Just ordered one, get back with thoughts when delivered
It's all about musical understanding!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Music Lover wrote:Just ordered one
How much was it, in SEK?
WIJI

Post by WIJI »

I got one of these last year, and it is great. Much nicer in the hand (and on the eye) than the standard remote.

Price was about GBP £50.

Fully recommended.

EDIT. One proviso, which is that the 3 direct input select buttons do not function with a KK (they work fine with a KDSM). The input can still be changed with the input +/- button. I only have one source so it doesn't bother me.