Majik LP 12 with Lejonklou

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Majik LP 12 with Lejonklou

Post by Charlie1 »

Glad you're enjoying your LP12 (and Lejonklou amps) so much. I can sense your enthusiasm. Nice to read.

Would local record fairs appeal to you? Or maybe you have a local used record store too. There are quite a few around the UK when you start looking for them. I know one store near Oxford just expanded to second hand vinyl above their main shop and is doing really well - you even get free coffee and sometimes live music, so it's a growing market at the moment.

Discogs is also a good source if you want to tap into a global marketplace of record dealers.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks for that,

I am in the hunt for more vinyl ( after more than 20 years!) - so thanks for the tip.

Anthony has recently sent me a list of recommended record shops from an article in one of the newspapers and fortunately there is one in Nottingham, which I will track down.

I will look at Discogs and also re visit Rare records , where Thomas directed me to for The New Standard.

Great thing about 'good' music systems is that one quickly forgets the system and concentrates on the music itself.

Really good recordings, be they Vinyl or Digital are precious items which are an absolute delight to find and something to be treasured life long.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
finster

Post by finster »

What's the consensus on using Lyra spt cleaning fluid on the stylus tip as a cleaning agent? I have used it and initially was impressed with the results but not so sure regarding longer term use.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I use it occasionally. I can't comment on any performance changes because I never just use SPT on its own. I always use Silly Putty first which Tom thankfully recommended some years ago. The combination does seem to make a small improvement at times. The sound will become a tiny little clearer. More often, I will just use Silly Putty alone because it's easier to use and you can see all the dirt that's been removed which is quite satisfying. I will have to try SPT on its own some time once my system is up and running again.

As referenced earlier in the thread, it was Pear Audio that recommended I use a good fluid along with the carbon brush. SPT seemed the obvious choice for an Akiva. They couldn't comment on Silly Putty. They added that green paper won't always remove everything. This is backed up by my own experience. I've always used green paper before playing each LP but my first Akiva still became gunked up at some point during its 5-6 year lifetime (as per photos in this thread).

One other point, I find SPT very hard to apply. My near vision isn't what it used to be and I can no longer focus close up. The instructions are next to impossible to implement - i.e. only apply the brush to the diamond tip, don't get any on the cantilever. Even with perfect eye sight, this would be extremely hard to do. Having said that, only a small amount of fluid will contact the bottom of the cantilever when I use it.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Although my only upgrade to the Majik LP12 was ever going to be a Radikal power supply, an opportunity to acquire an unused Akito 3B arm (thank you Nikola) meant that I now have a Majik with Akito and Kore subchassis.

I thought it would be a nice upgrade for the meantime.

Well - its phenomenal, just what a difference these two things have made to the Turntable.

Just a different league, not just musicality , but everything else as well.

Great match with Lejonklou amplification and 242s- really great.

Have no desire to listen to my KDS/2 at the moment - still playing the same Annie Lennox album for the last three days - shaking my head in disbelief, each time.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I also have the Lyra SPT cleaning fluid with mixed feelings. It improves the sound quite a bit, it sounds richer and smoother afterwards I think but musically a little worse (with Krystal). After a few more records it sounds really good again and still some of that improvement in sound left. I don't use it often but will probably use it 5 times a year or something just because I want to try if it can help keeping the tip clean over time. Otherwise I use silly putty a couple of times in a week and green paper a little less.
the players of instruments shall be there..