Administrator

KINKI3 - new phono preamp

Post by lejonklou »

Version 3.0
Introduced December 2009
New and redesigned model
Sound improvement: Yes
Other differences: Grey printing on front and back plates
Previous models upgradable: Unfortunately not. But older units can be upgraded to version 2.1

In English, see: http://www.lejonklou.com/?news=77
In Swedish: http://www.lejonklou.com/?news=76

If you arrive at an empty news page, this is due to the language choice of your last visit. Solution: Click the flag in the upper right corner, then click back to the previous page, then reload the page. (I will look into this language selection issue later).
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just recently received a couple of KINKI3s for customers and thought I'd give a couple of quick impressions. I do not have an LP12 with an Adikt at home but was able to use the store's Majik LP12 for some listening. I compared the KINKI3 with the internal phono stage of the Akurate Kontrol (non-Dynamik) which had been the best MM phono stage I'd heard. In direct A/B comparisons with a fresh from the box KINKI3 I found that the two were very close but I felt that the KINKI3 was just a bit more tuneful. I could hear a bit more into the sound of the instruments and the technique of playing. The bass of the KINKI3 was particularly powerful and clean without sounding out of balance with the rest of the range. I also noticed that it was easier to hear the improvement over the AK as the KINKI3 warmed up.

I'm not sure if extended burn-in would increase the difference as the MM stage in the Ak didn't have much burn in either. But just as I heard it this is quite impressive. The KINKI I originally auditioned was not as good as the AK MM stage but was closer to it than the Majik Kontrol. The KINKI3 is a small, but definite step above the AK MM stage. Certainly the best MM phono stage I have yet heard - it makes me wonder how much better the SLIPSIK can make things.

The first customer who purchased one from me was also quite impressed. He had used a Kairn as an MM phono stage into a KK and his Kairn broke. He had listened to a Rega Fono MM but was not happy with it as it wasn't up to the level of the Kairn. After putting the KINKI3 into his system he called me to thank me for selling it to him. He said it was definitely better than he had ever heard his LP12 sound (Radikal/Ittok/Adikt) and was particularly impressed with how much cleaner and more extended the bass was. Always great to make a customer happy!

So quite an impressive product, thanks Fredrik.