Source selector

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Broccoli

Source selector

Post by Broccoli »

Fredrik, are you working on a source selector of some kind? Or a preamp with more than one input? I'm getting a little tired on changing cables.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

:)

Yes, working hard. No solution I'm happy with yet, though.

Been trying to improve the Kikkin as well, but it's difficult.
xanlin

Post by xanlin »

I got a Aura Z1, a really cool intergrated amplifier from the late 80-ties, which has multiple inputs but still no selector. This means if you play two sources at the same time you will hear them both. I know it is not ideal but It worked really well back then. Maybe a simple solution to the cable swapping.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I know the Aura and really like the look of it.

The main problem with that multiple-outputs-connected-to-one-input is that it doesn't sound very good. It would be really easy to add more input connectors to a Kikkin and have them all connected this way. But to get close to Kikkin sound quality, you'd have to disconnect all the other sources while listening to one... So I don't really see the point in doing it.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Are you working on a stand-alone source selector or a pre-amp with multiple inputs (or both)?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Apologies for the late reply.

Whatever works best! One problem with separating input selector from volume control is that there will be additional interconnects needed.
Source

Post by Source »

What about using a rca-splitter?

Off course this might have a negative inpact (most certainly) on the performance of Kikkin. The question is how much.
Anyone tested this? Is it a good idea? Off course you have to turn off one source to play with an other but that should not be a critical issue :)
The sun's not yellow it's chicken - Bob Dylan
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

No, this is not a good solution.

Every source component that you want to connect has a low output impedance (usually a few hundred ohms or less). The input of Kikkin has a high impedance (12 kohm). When connecting the outputs of several sources together, like with the splitter you show, they will load eachother down. Instead of playing into a high impedance input, they will be playing into eachother's outputs. Simply not a good idea.

The best solution to this problem is to add a resistor in series with all outputs, before they reach their common point (the Kikkin input). That will add impedance and prevent them from loading each other down. The drawback is that this seriously degrades performance.

Sorry, but there doesn't seem to be any substitute to proper signal switching.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

If it would ever be possible, I would like to see a preamplifier with one auxilary input and one tuner input, but sound better than the Linn Akurate Kontrol preamplifier :) .
Tony Tune-age