Power One for U.S. plugs

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

tambrose

Power One for U.S. plugs

Post by tambrose »

Hi,

Is the Power One available for U.S. plugs?

Thanks,

-tom
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Tom,

No it isn't, at least not at the moment. To make one, I would probably have to listen through everything again, with a US wall plug and 120 Volts. Then place a rather large order for the best combination. Doable, but not in my plans at the moment.

I know that some people in America use a dedicated 230 V supply to their hifi systems, because it sounds better. In that case one can use a Shuko (euro) distribution block together with my cables.
tambrose

Post by tambrose »

Is there a Linn power cord that's better than others that I should use instead?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Most probably Linn supply a good one in the US and have it for sale as a spare part. They usually pick the best sounding model after listening to a large number. Naim do the same, you could check what cord they supply with their machines.

Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this issue?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The best power cable I've yet heard from Linn is the current one. The wire has the following writing on it: "(UL) SVT E159216 VW-1 3X18AWG BAOHING CSA SVT LL112007-1 VW-1 3X18AWG LF". The plug has what looks like a large M with a bar across the top on it and the plugs are marked "Volex". It appears to be Volex part number V1625. I have compared this with a number of earlier Linn power cords and with several very expensive cables and I like it the best. It can be ordered from any Linn dealer and sells for about $35.00US. The Linn part number is CONN 014.

Interesting enough our store recently had some Ayre products in for evaluation (some of the better American equipment) and they were using the same cable except that it was 3x16AWG. Everything else about it was the same.

Maybe if we are lucky one of Fredriks new "cable products" will be a power distribution strip (I'd like mine with nine outlets please :) ). This would make it much easier to use the Power One cables as you would only have to reterminate the strip.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, no marvellous power distribution strip on the horizon yet. At least not from me. I am not entirely happy with any of the parts I have tried so far.

The strip however appears to be less important than the power cords. Good cords connected to a decent strip works well. The cord between wall and strip is least important (and a Power One does not work there).
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Sounds like source last :wink:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

If you define the mains power as source, yes.

But if you define the record you are playing as source, it becomes source first. In my experience, the closer you get to the record (or rather; where the music originates), the more important it is.

With this view, the power cord is closer to the source than the distribution strip. And the distribution strip is closer than the mains wiring and fuses in the house etc.

Also, the power cord is as close to the source as the interconnect. This is interesting as the above theory would suggest they might be equally important.

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:But if you define the record you are playing as source, it becomes source first. In my experience, the closer you get to the record (or rather; where the music originates), the more important it is.
Agree, I have same experience.
Same goes for stands.
I know some fellow Naim owners consider Fraim can be more important than a "box upgrade". :wink:
And a good stand is most important for the source (LP12/CD/tuner).
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, there is the furniture as well. I didn't think of that as the furniture is often a fixed parameter and I demonstrate replacing cables.

Then we have three things that are equally close to the source:
Power cord, Interconnect, Furniture.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:Yes, there is the furniture as well. I didn't think of that as the furniture is often a fixed parameter and I demonstrate replacing cables.

Then we have three things that are equally close to the source:
Power cord, Interconnect, Furniture.
There is no question that the stand or shelf the LP12 (or other component) sits on has a significant effect on performance. And certainly the power cord and interconnect have a substantial effect as well.

As to which is the most important let's look at it this way. Fredrik states in the forum rules "When building a turntable from parts, there is a strict hierarchy to observe. Most important is the turntable mechanics, then follows the motor controller, the arm and the cartridge (least important)." I agree with him on this - I have yet to see a case where this hierarchy doesn't work. From this point of view the stand would be most important (effects mechanics), then the power cord to the Lingo (motor controller) and lastly the interconnect (arm cable). Then again is the arm cable or the cartridge more important? After all the cable is somewhat part of the arm but it also follows the cartridge.

Of course the real way to verify all if this is to do a series of tune dems. Comparing two stands of different quality interchanged with two power cables of different quality. Once you've quantified which pieces are better you could see whether the better stand with the worse cable was more tuneful or if it was the other way around. And a similar test could compare the difference between a better power cable and a better interconnect on a Linto or preamp (as this would be harder to do on an LP12). Anyone up for testing the theories???
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm always up for such comparisons, Thomas. :D

But nowadays I define the logistics very precisely before I start, otherwise the results could later be found useless. The main problem in this case, as I see it, is to select what furniture and cables to use.

It would be pointless to use the worst possible against the best possible, because even if we knew which those were, the worst would be far from any real life situation. Perhaps the most common again the best possible?

Cost is another factor. The best furniture and interconnects I know of costs quite a lot, but the best power cord doesn't.