Squeezebox?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

How about a Lejonklou version of Squeezebox (or DS if you will) for 10k SEK that outperforms (or is as good as) an Ikemi?

I know that you don't like the idea of looking at your music collection through a display, but I think that would be a killer product. I know I would buy one!

(10k SEK is about 1600 USD or 750 GBP.)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the tip, Broccoli!

First I'd like to wait and see what Linn will release. I expect a DS in all three system levels: Klimax, Akurate and Majik. If it's then also added as a feature in the Classik range, they will have moved down in price quite a lot - perhaps to around one tenth (1/10) of the price of the original Klimax DS. But a standalone digital player in the pricerange you mention might still be interesting.

If the performance is high enough, I'm sure I could live with the idea of looking at my music collection (or somebody else's!) on a screen. :) I expect the CD format to slowly disappear and leave us with computer files and vinyl records. I will for sure always love my vinyl, but it's probably just a matter of time before I "play files" as well...

Actually a squeezebox idea was first presented to me some time early last year, but then I was too deeply into studying analogue circuits that I didn't have any time for it. I will look at it more closely this time.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Ok, now that the Sneaky DS is out for 13k SEK, and everybody says it's great, the competition is obviously tougher for a Lejonklou DS. Now something like 3-5k SEK and somewhere between Squeezebox and Sneaky DS in performance would be interesting. Probably hard to do?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The Sneaky DS indeed is great (especially the DS player part) and the price is very reasonable. But Linn also have to sell them in packs of 5 with a low margin/overhead to their dealers.

At the moment I feel Linn are taking good care of the source end, and if one can't afford a Linn source, the Squeezeboxes are pretty decent.

At the moment I am focusing on other parts of the HiFi chain, but you never know. Sneaky DS performance at around half the price would indeed be nice!