Kikkin with One-for-all zapper remote control

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ocoro02

Kikkin with One-for-all zapper remote control

Post by ocoro02 »

I got a One-for-all URC-6210 Zapper based on recommendations on this forum (or Linn). Got a couple of questions:

Has anyone managed to get it working such that the power control will set a DS (Renew in my case) into standby as well as a Kikkin volume control? I could find *any* code that put the DS into standby and I must've searched at least 150 codes (which they claim is the total number?), probably more like 300 when I fell asleep!

The 'mute' function on the remote control with the Kikkin is a little odd - it doesn't fully mute the Kikkin but reduces the volume by about half. The LED on the front of the Kikkin flashes while in 'mute' mode too. Is this correct behaviour?

Thanks!

[edit] the code I'm using is 31324
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mute function first: In version 2 of the firmware, a dual mute function was introduced.

With a quick press on the mute button, Kikkin will reduce volume 10 dB and the indicator will flash rapidly while in this state. Any button will return the volume to normal.

With a press on the mute button for longer than about 0.4 seconds, Kikkin will be fully muted. The indicator will flash slowly in this state. And once again, any button will return the volume to normal.

I am not familiar with what code the DS players use for standby, but the problem lies in the fact that the Zapper remote control only sends out "TV commands". In technical terms, this means that the zapper will always send the command for "TV" before sending the command that matches the button you pressed. Therefore the Zapper can't control any HiFi gear (except Kikkin), you need a remote intended for HiFi use for that.

The reason Kikkin listens to the Zapper is because Kikkin, when set in "TV mode", simply ignores the first command. It doesn't matter if the remote says "amplifier" then "raise volume" or "TV" and "raise volume". So in "TV mode", it will obey a lot of remotes. If you don't set the Kikkin in "TV mode", it will only respond to remotes intended for amplifiers. Such as Linn, Naim, Arcam, Rega or Philips remotes. Or any universal remote intended for HiFi use.
ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

Ah - a sophisticated mute control - that makes sense! I do quite like the initial volume drop, I have to say.

Looks like I'm being optimistic getting the TV Zapper to standby the DS as well - that's really no great hardship!
lejonklou wrote:Mute function first: In version 2 of the firmware, a dual mute function was introduced.

With a quick press on the mute button, Kikkin will reduce volume 10 dB and the indicator will flash rapidly while in this state. Any button will return the volume to normal.

With a press on the mute button for longer than about 0.4 seconds, Kikkin will be fully muted. The indicator will flash slowly in this state. And once again, any button will return the volume to normal.

I am not familiar with what code the DS players use for standby, but the problem lies in the fact that the Zapper remote control only sends out "TV commands". In technical terms, this means that the zapper will always send the command for "TV" before sending the command that matches the button you pressed. Therefore the Zapper can't control any HiFi gear (except Kikkin), you need a remote intended for HiFi use for that.

The reason Kikkin listens to the Zapper is because Kikkin, when set in "TV mode", simply ignores the first command. It doesn't matter if the remote says "amplifier" then "raise volume" or "TV" and "raise volume". So in "TV mode", it will obey a lot of remotes. If you don't set the Kikkin in "TV mode", it will only respond to remotes intended for amplifiers. Such as Linn, Naim, Arcam, Rega or Philips remotes. Or any universal remote intended for HiFi use.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ocoro02 wrote:Ah - a sophisticated mute control - that makes sense! I do quite like the initial volume drop, I have to say.
Thanks! The idea originated late one night when I was watching TV (doesn't happen that often) and became annoyed with how the commercials always interrupted with a louder volume. Each time I lowered the volume with around 10 steps, only to increase it again when the commercials ended. Then I thought, this should really be a single button press.

I realise most people don't connect a TV to their Kikkin, but some time when I start producing a complete preamp with many inputs, the feature might be used for this purpose. It can also be used as a "sorry, I didn't hear what you said" button. And when cleaning the stylus of a turntable.

Looks like I'm being optimistic getting the TV Zapper to standby the DS as well - that's really no great hardship!
If you have a Linn remote, you can use that for both the DS and Kikkin. For some reason, the universal remotes that are made for HiFi are usually big, expensive and ugly. There are no tiny ones like the Zapper. This was the reason behind the "TV mode" you can choose to set your Kikkin in.

Are you happy with the sound of it?
ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

Are you happy with the sound of it?
Oh yes! It beats my first gen AK/D by quite some margin IMHO...